Friday, December 7, 2012

Lesson Nine and Ten: Regaining inspiration



I kept reminding myself that when things are most frustrating--that is often the point right before a big breakthrough. 

I watched a toddler recently learning to walk, edging along shelves and the couch in, once in awhile taking a step without noticing it---and then suddenly he was walking and within a few days running. But of course, he wasn’t thinking, “I want to walk, oh, I’m so ready to walk, when am I going to be able to walk?”

After I returned from London, got over a bad cold---I was determined to reclaim my joy and comfort in the water. But I also wanted to feel some progress—I felt like I hadn’t made any breakthroughs [though I had] and was impatient.

In my next two lessons, two days in a row to make up for my missed lesson--Beth showed helped me work on my sidekick, in breathing position for learning backstroke.  Switching from side to side, but not changing my head. She held my head in the correct position and let me do the rotating. As I kicked, I’d count to ten with one arm by my side and the other above my head- like at eleven or one o'clock if the top of my head was twelve;  take one stroke and rotate to the other side—pivot my body but not my head. With Beth helping me, I could do this. It felt wonderful. I was getting the experience of swimming on my side/back and felt a rush of joy and excitement. But when Beth let go I could only keep going for a few turns and then things would fall apart. Beth reminded me that most of the people she teaches have a hard time learning breathing position of understanding the arm position that made me feel not so different.

I focused on my top arm, trying to feel the weight of my arm coming over my body. I tried to keep it relaxed.  My movements were too big, too clumsy. I’d jerk my head back and get a nose full of water over and over. Beth reminded me the top arm had to be relaxed---when she tried to move my arm sometimes she couldn’t because there was too much resistance.  But knowing that the arm has to be relaxed is not the same as knowing how to relax it. 

I loved the sensation when Beth helped me move. It showed me how it could feel---if I could just get there. I tried to go slower. I counted. I got dunked---my nose full of water over and over. Beth suggested a nose plug. I bought one but haven’t used it yet, feeling it would be a failure. Carol said all the greats use them. “Really” I asked, “Michael Phelps?” “Well, Esther Williams” she said.

The timing for the two lessons in a row was the perfect balance after my hard time. I had two days of breathing position, of sidekick, of having Beth support my head---of enjoying the water again, of being inspired. I wanted to practice again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment