Monday, August 27, 2012

Outreach to adults learning to swim

Several weeks ago, I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal for a piece on adults learning to swim. The story is online at this site:
 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443545504577567472616437732.html

Racing across Lake Tahoe in 2010
I found myself extremely frustrated by the message that was conveyed. Nothing of real value that I had said was included in the article. As a result, I decided to do a trade with a current student, who is learning to swim at age 54-- to have her convey my message to adults learning to swim. My name is Beth Davis. I am the founder of SwimBoulder, Inc. and Boulder Swim for Life, Inc.  I have been teaching swimming since I was sixteen when I worked for my swim coach in Lexington, Kentucky at the University of Kentucky.  In 1994, I made teaching swimming my career. My experience with adults first began with coaching Masters for the City of Boulder and at the University of Colorado. Over the recent years, I have been privileged to work with numerous adults who either were learning to swim for the first time, or had been traumatized by prior attempts. More and more adults are wanting to learn how to swim. My goal is inform adults on what to look for in an instructor and share what I have learned that works. Swimming has been a big part of my life. I began competing at age six. It's what I've relied on the most to facilitate healing from a climbing accident in October, 2010. It's what I know inside and out.

1 comment:

  1. Beth is amazing. I have been working with her for the last 5 years. She creates a safe, yet challenging space to learn this amazing skill and sport. Her lessons transcend the water and spill (pun intended) into all aspects of my life. You are never to old to learn.

    ReplyDelete